- All students have access to careers information, advice and guidance from year 7-leaving, including specific career sessions on LMI, CV writing, job interviews, applying for apprenticeships/HE.
- Offering information on choices at keys points of transition – year 9 options; post 16 options; post 18 options.
- Sign posting students towards comprehensive, fully inclusive, up to date careers information
- Explaining choices available through one to one guidance interviews, including parent /guardian invitation and written Career Progression Plan.
- Careers education and information delivered through the curriculum.
- Careers exploration offered in Y9, Yr10 and Post 16.
- Access to impartial advice and guidance by qualified staff who regularly attend meetings and network with employers/ training providers/ HE institutes to offer unrivalled information on career opportunities and educational progression.
- Guidance linked to academic tutoring, open evenings and STCE.
- Effective recording and referral systems
- Support on how to use the materials available.
The Careers Library
The Careers Team works closely with Heads of Year, SEN Department and teaching staff to ensure all students are aware of the facility and have inclusive access to it.
It has successful partnerships with local industry to offer students experience the world of work.
These links are developed further through assemblies, work experience, CaVE, Next Steps Day, Health Day, mock interviews, guest speakers and meaningful visits. During 2018-19 the Careers Team provided 92 encounters with employers, giving students the opportunity to learn about work and the skills required in the workplace*.
* - Gatsby recommended Benchmark
Careers resources are also available on the academy network curriculum software, enabling student access to information either at school or in their home.
we hold the following:
- National Citizenship Service "Champions Schools Status" Bronze Award
- RAF Platinum Plaque Partner.
- Awarded "Certificate of engagement for Apprenticeship Support and Knowledge"
- Member of the Careers Development Institute
The Careers Team work closely with the Education Development Trust, STEM Regional Technology Centre, Tees Valley Combined Authority, Tees Valley Learner Provider Network, Middlesbrough Local Authority and Middlesbrough Achievement Partnership to ensure they have up to date information to share with students, parents and staff.
Links to sites of reference
These sites below help schools leavers get jobs and understand the career paths available to them. You’ll find everything from current apprenticeships
and school leaver programme opportunities, to the latest school leaver job news, and advice to help guide you on your career journey.
The Careers Department Statement of Provision.
What can you expect from the Careers Department?
- A professionally qualified Careers Team.
- Confidentiality in your meeting.
- Commitment to Equality and diversity.
- Requested Guidance Appointments to be arranged / rearranged within 5 working days.
- To be provided with a written Careers Progression Plan in Year 11, or upon request.
- If we are unable to provide information at the time of enquiry, we will endeavour to source the information and feed it back to you within 5 working days.
- Careers IAG will be provided in various formats including written, email, sign posting and web addresses.
- Local apprenticeships posted on Frog & tweeted and mentioned in briefings, assemblies and on the Careers board.
HE opportunities advertised in Post 16 briefing, assemblies and school/ sixth form visits.
What we expect from you.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment. If you are late or can’t attend, please let us know via phone, email or your tutor or pop into the Careers Library on your break or lunch.
- Please accept, if you “drop in” without an appointment, you may have to wait to be seen.
- Please treat staff and the careers library with respect.
How you can help us.
- We enjoy improving our service and appreciate feedback from yourself. You can do this by writing/emailing your comments to email@example.com.
|Mrs E Turner
|Ms. C Cook
Instant support can be offered on the National Careers Service number –
Tel: 0800 100 900
Information Advice and Guidance is also offered at:
Tel 01642 256310
Macmillan Academy welcomes requests from apprenticeship providers and technical colleges to come and speak with our students about opportunities that they offer. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this further.